My Audience

This Blog is very much directed to those of us that have accepted Jesus Christ as God and have any number of questions about Him, the bible, Christianity and how these things affect (or should) our lives. This isn't really a blog for people who are already firm in their beliefs as the questions may seem very fundamental. I'm also of the belief that we are all born with an built in sense to rebel against forced conformity. Jesus Christ ask us to rebel against conformity (Romans 12:2). He wants us to be apart from the crowd. And he knows that we are going to suffer (Romans 5:3) but that it will be worth it.

Paul wrote:

For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

2 Corinthians 1:5-7 NIV

Friday, April 5, 2013

Freewill

 

The following is extracted from my post in a philosophy class I am taking. I thought these answers to questions might help more than just the Classroom setting. Let me know what you think.

The challenge is really, is there predestination, which is the determination of your path before hand, or freewill. If we suppose that God does know all then how can we at the same time observe free will?

The thought behind this is that if I can make changes by my choices then I have the freedom of will. However, if there is no choices because time does not affect a supernatural being and that being has seen the future then my choices are already made on some level thus reducing my freedom to not.

The way I put it to someone who believes in free will is thusly. I know my son. I know that he is inquisitive and adventurous. I know that he will eventually head towards the bathroom and try to play in the toilet the instant he realizes the door is open (my son is 14 months old). Does he cease to have freewill because I know him so well? Is it possible that my knowing what he is going to do preclude his choice in the first place? The answer is no because he will learn, I pray, that the toilet is not a playground.

This however is not the real issue it is a nice glossy coating. What we are really trying to determine as Christians is the meaning of Romans 9:17-18

17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[b] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Does this mean that Pharaoh and potentially others, even some born today are going to be designated to hell because God made them that way?

Believe me when I tell you this is not the case. Imagine if you will that the God of the Universe loves. He is full of compassion and just nature. He creates the world,, but not in any way we can imagine. It would be best to picture God as placing each of the grains of sand individually on the beach, knowing their purpose throughout existence and what influence they will have on the world. Each grain of sand, every atom and molecule would be so intimately known to Him on a grander scale then I know my son or even my wife knowing me.

He knows this not as a pursuit of knowledge because He created knowledge. He knows this out of love for His creations. They have meanings and purpose and love for him. He is able to see the combinations that will result in us and all the steps before and after not because he created knowledge but because as the psalmist wrote. Read Psalm 139 with these thoughts and you will see that it is not because God has taken away our freedom, for it is only love freely given that He desires, it is instead that he knows so much about you, what your dreams are and how much you hurt when you hurt and how much you love when you love. Best of all God knows our true potential and being that I know I am not living up to this, I am blessed because it was while the world was still full of sin that He sent His Son Jesus to die and take the punishment for them. Out of love.

If you look at it like a father looks on to his son (who is currently asleep and is the sweetest thing) Then I know my son, and I love him. I know what most of his day will look like because I love him. Does he have choice, of course he does. Did my mom know what choices I was going to make, most of them. Did that stop me? I made some wrong choices in my life and thought I know my sins are forgiven I refuse to believe that they were made because my God does not care. They were forgiven because He does.

No comments:

Post a Comment